After announcing it weeks ago and extensive beta testing, Sony has finally rolled out the fairly large new firmware update for the PS4: version 5.00. This new update brings a suite of new features to the console’s operating system.
The new system update is avaliable to download right now!
Here are some highlights of what’s included:
- ‘Family on PSN’ – Introduces Parental Controls
- Friend List Management – Can now sort friends in custom lists that are only visible to you.
- PS4 Messages Improvement – You can now share songs in the Messages app with your friends. You can also leave multiple group chats at once. When you send a link in a message, a preview of the website will now be displayed.
- Twitch Streams now 1080p/60FPS on PS4 Pro – When streaming via Twitch on a PS4 Pro console, you can now bump up the quality to a full 1080p/60FPS.
- Notification Improvements – You can now enable what is basically a ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode when you’re watching videos on your PS4. This setting will disable pop-ups. You can also now disable full message previews pop-ups when someone sends you a chat message.
- Notifications will now be displayed in the PS4 Quick menu. (Game download/installation progress, message alerts, etc.) You can also now leave a party via the Quick Menu.
- PSVR Headsets now support Virtual Surround Sound for a more immersive experience when watching Blu-Ray/DVDs in Cinematic Mode.
- New languages have been added (Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Thai and Vietnamese.)
Having been introduced to video games at the age of 3 via a Nintendo 64, A.K has grown up in the culture. A fan of simulators and racers, with a soft spot for Nintendo! But, he has a great respect for the entire video game world and enjoys watching it all expand as a whole.