Gamescom 2019 has only just begun and the announcements are coming out hot and fast. From even more Death Stranding reveals to a surprise game release on the PS4 in Erica, PlayStation fans have even more to look forward to as a PS4 exclusive Alpha for the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has been announced.
The exclusive Alpha will take place from August 23 to August 25, and will be free for all PS4 players, even for those without an active PS Plus subscription.
The Gunfight mode is the focus of the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Alpha, bringing a new brand of fast-paced, 2v2, multiplayer action to the first-person shooter franchise. Five maps will be included in the test, with two never before-played maps: Docks and Speedball.
The mechanics are simple enough, the first team to win five rounds will be the victors. However, each round will begin with players getting a random weapon loadout, from “pistols to rocket launcher combos to scoped shotguns.” Everyone will be the same across the board, so it is up to you to figure out the best way to play against the opposing teams.
The PlayStation Blog has also prepared some tips for players eager to jump into the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Alpha:
- Study Your Loadout – Your primary weapon is obvious, but look deeper to your sidearm, grenade, and gear. Sometimes your pistol will offer better range than the shotgun you spawned with. Don’t mistake your smoke grenade for a flashbang in the heat of the moment. Mind the details!
- Listen Carefully – Modern Warfare’s multiplayer removes the mini-map by default. Keep your ears peeled for the crunch of enemy footsteps and other positional cues. Keep your head on a swivel. Headphones make a big difference, too.
Pulling Overtime – An Overtime Flag appears if opposing players are still standing after 40 seconds. The first team to secure the central flag wins the round.
- Be Unpredictable – Both teams start with sniper rifles and pistols? Take advantage of your enemies’ tunnel vision by storming the map, chucking a grenade, and brandishing that sidearm. Wildcard strategies make you harder to predict.
- Move Together – Generally goes without saying, but teams that move together live longer. This forces your enemies to think a second longer before engaging. Also, if you die via a surprise attack, your surviving ally has a chance to avenge your death and with the round.
- Embrace Discovery – Gunfight Mode is a brilliant way to get trigger time with a diverse set of weapons. Who knows – maybe the random loadouts will lead you to fall in love with a new approach to combat to take into Team Deathmatch and other Multiplayer modes.